One reaches the peninsula in the west of the Grunewald by going over the Havelchaussee and the Strasse am Schildhorn, past the historic Schildhorn Inn. Two stone steps away from the bank and a ribbon of a path leads to the Schildhorn column, placed high above the Havel and surrounded by lovely pines. Friedrich Wilhelm 1V commissioned Friedrich August
Stüler to build it in 1845. The monument, together with the impressive church buildings in Nikolskoe and Sacrow, is part of a religious landscape alongside the Havel which gave expression to the King’s romantic ideas of Christianity and his wish to glorify it. The column, destroyed in 1945 and restored again in 1954, depicts a stylized tree crowned by a cross from which a shield is hanging. It illustrates the subject matter of the legend of the Slavic Prince Jaczo. After a devastating defeat at the hands of the Germans at Kladow, while attempting to escape he came to the Havel near the Pichelberge, where it spreads out into a lake. Pressed by his pursuers, he drove his horse into the river and as his gods had deserted him, swore that he would become a Christian if the Christian god would save him. As he happily reached the far bank, he hung his shield and horn from a tree and fulfilled his promise. The name of the peninsula and the design of the column stem from these events.
Address: Straße am Schildhorn Bus, Tube, Tram: S 5, S 75 Pichelsberg; Bus A 18 Map