Anupam Bansal,
Malini Kochupillai


Delhi
Architectural Guide
(English)

 

Maholy Nagy

Telehor
Internationale Zeitschrift
Für Visuelle Kultur

( English, German, French, Czech)

 


Wilfried Wang,
Dan Sylvester

Philharmonie
Hans Scharoun

Berlin 1956-1963
 

   

 

         City Guide

                    Berlin: Hidden Places 

                    Home     Index of Districts     Index of Themes     Index of Persons              About us    Deutsch 

Religious and
Spiritual Places
Wilmersdorf
Ahmadiyya-Moschee (Ahmadiyya Mosque)

Index

Stralau Walk

Cemetery Hall. Tor

Franciscan Monastery

St' Michael's Church

Room of Silence

Bo Mun Sa Tempel

Buddhist House

Lübars Village Green

Russian Church

Marienfelde Green

Treptow Crematorium

Church Hohenzollernpl

Ahmadiyya Mosque

Heerstraße Cemetery

Just before the junction of Berliner Straße and Hohenzollerndamm, one becomes aware of the mosque's whitewashed minarets, parapet and dome gleaming through a dense layer of trees. The Ahmadiyya Mosque is now the oldest building of its kind in Germany. Modelled on the burial mosques of Indian Mogul princes, it was constructed between 1924 and 1928 and designed by Berlin architect K.A. Hermann.
An earlier mosque, financed by the German government, was built in 1915 in Wünsdorf, some fifty kilometres south of Berlin. This was intended for Muslim prisoners of war and was demolished again in 1930.
The Wilmersdorf mosque was commissioned by the Ahmadiyya Anjuman – a religious community from Lahore, Pakistan, which also raised the money to finance the building. It was only possible to construct the 32-metre high minarets after the women of the community had sold their jewellery and donated the profits. The mosque was badly damaged in the Second World War. German marksmen directed machine guns from the minarets onto Russian soldiers who were entrenched in a neighbouring cemetery. The minarets were reduced to stumps a few metres high.
Both Indian and British military authorities were involved with the reconstruction of the mosque, and not until 1993 was the building put under a preservation order. At the end of the 1990s, the adjacent house was redeveloped and one of the minarets rebuilt. The completed spire for the second minaret sits in the garden, as though to encourage the sponsors to support further work: rebuilding the tower, overhauling the dome and the new l garden layout.
What began as an Islamic mission has become a place of contact and peace. The softening of European prejudice against Islam could really become its most important task. The pleasant place of prayer serves only a very small community, and sees itself more as an Islamic information centre. The mosque is regularly open for Friday prayers. Visits outside these times can be arranged by telephone.

 

                   

 

Address: Brienner Str. 7-8   10713 Berlin

Tel: +49 30 873 57 03    Fax: +49 30 873 07 83

Bus, Tube, Tram: U 3, U 7 Fehrbelliner Platz; Bus 115 Hoffmann-von-Fallersleben-Platz

Hours of Prayer: Fri 13.00 (in winter); 13.30 (in summer)

E-Mail: DieMoschee@aaiil.org

Home Page: www.muslim.org

Next