Anupam Bansal,
Malini Kochupillai


Delhi
Architectural Guide
(English)

 

Maholy Nagy

Telehor
Internationale Zeitschrift
Für Visuelle Kultur

( English, German, French, Czech)

 


Wilfried Wang,
Dan Sylvester

Philharmonie
Hans Scharoun

Berlin 1956-1963
 

   

 

         City Guide

                    Berlin: Hidden Places 

                    Home     Index of Districts     Index of Themes     Index of Persons              About us    Deutsch 

Monuments
and
Sculptures
Mitte
Gardens in the Luisenstädtische Canal

Index

Cemetery Hall. Tor

Memorial Tablets

Sale e Tabacchi

The Deserted Room

Luisenst. Canal Gardens

Comenius Garden

Nat. Reserve Schöneberg

Russian Church

R. Luxemburg Memorial

Cadillacs in Concrete

Schildhorn Column

Heerstraße Cemetery
Kleist's Grave
Mori-Ogai Memorial

There are only a few sections of the Berlin Wall where the call to transform defence installations into gardens could be put into practice. The old Luisenstädtische Canal, whose course between Waldemar and Schillingbrücke defined the border with East Germany, is a pleasant exception. The canal was built in 1848 to connect the Landwehrkanal to the Spree. Some 80 years later it was filled in for health reasons. In the 20’s and 30’s, Erwin Barth created the garden attraction which, with its water features, drew thousands of walkers everyday. Today’s garden is built on the foundations of this historic site. The exotic and beautiful Indian well has been reproduced between the restored canal walls and the pergolas, covered with climbers. A splendid rose bed joins up with the Angel Pool at the foot of the Michaelskirche. In front of the church, the canal bends away to the south-east and on its way to the Spree incorporates a further “evergreen” garden, framed by Engel and Bethaniendamm. The last section to the Spree, between Adalbertstrasse and Köpenicker Strasse, is waiting to be completed. It has been dug out and for several years has been covered with luxuriant weeds and vegetation. The section of the canal that used to belong to West Berlin, south-west of the Waldemarbrücke, was only developed as a garden in the 1980’s, with money from the International Bauausstellung. It winds its way along the far side of Skalitzer Strasse, between Segitz and Erkelenzdamm down to the Landwehrkanal. The Department for Garden Preservation would like to restore this strip as well and dreams of the complete restoration of the axis from Michaelskirche to Südstern. The pedestrian will need about half an hour to walk the two kilometers that lie between Schillingbrücke on the Spree and Urbanhafen on the Landwehr Canal, and to take in 150 years of Berlin landscape design, the outcome of which is still uncertain. 

 

 

 

 

Bus, Tube, Tram: U 1, U 2, U 8, U 15 Kottbusser Tor; Bus 129,147
Map
Next