Anupam Bansal,
Malini Kochupillai


Delhi
Architectural Guide
(English)

 

Maholy Nagy

Telehor
Internationale Zeitschrift
Für Visuelle Kultur

( English, German, French, Czech)

 


Wilfried Wang,
Dan Sylvester

Philharmonie
Hans Scharoun

Berlin 1956-1963
 

   

 

         City Guide

                    Berlin: Hidden Places 

                    Home     Index of Districts     Index of Themes     Index of Persons              About us    Deutsch 

Architecture Tiergarten
The Market Hall at Arminiusplatz

Index

Registry Office

Lapidarium

Riehmers Court

Anatomical Theatre

Babylon Cinema

Architectural Centre

Franciscan Monastery

Ackerstr. Market Hall

St. Michael's Church

Lion's Bridge

Marienfelde Green

Nicolai House

Russian Church

Arminiuspl. Market Hall

Villa von der Heydt

Treptow Crematorium

Church Hohenzollernpl.

Universum Cinema

Mittelhof Country-House

Ahmadiyya Mosque

There are entrances to the largest of the three preserved market halls from Bremer Strasse, Arminius, Bugenhagen and Jonasstrasse. The Arminius hall was opened in 1891 under the name Market Hall X. Like the market hall in Ackerstrasse, this is the work of the councillor for urban development, Hermann Blankenstein, who as late as 1880 and 1890 built numerous schools and market halls in brick. During the Second World War, five of the remaining eleven halls were completely destroyed while the others were partially damaged. The Arminius hall was least affected. The glass structure like a pavillon over the main entrance and the wonderful rounded and arched arcades are unfortunately no longer there, yet after the costly restoration in the late 80’s, the market hall, now a protected building, with its relaxed way of shopping and communicating, is once again the most pleasant of the traditional Berlin halls.  
Address: Bremer Str. 9  10551 Berlin
Tel: +49 030 - 396 09 50
Bus, Tube, Tram: U 9 Turmstraße, Bus 101, 123, 
227, 340
Hours of opening: Mon-Fri 7.30-18.00, Sa 7.30-14.00
Map
Next