Anupam Bansal,
Malini Kochupillai


Delhi
Architectural Guide
(English)

 

Maholy Nagy

Telehor
Internationale Zeitschrift
Für Visuelle Kultur

( English, German, French, Czech)

 


Wilfried Wang,
Dan Sylvester

Philharmonie
Hans Scharoun

Berlin 1956-1963
 

   

 

         City Guide

                    Berlin: Hidden Places 

                    Home     Index of Districts     Index of Themes     Index of Persons              About us    Deutsch 

Architecture Mitte
Anatomisches Theater der Tierarzneischule (The Veterinary School’s  Anatomical Theatre)

Index

Registry Office

Lapidarium

Riehmers Court

Anatomical Theatre

Babylon Cinema

Architectural Centre

Franciscan Monastery

Ackerstr. Market Hall

St. Michael's Church

Lion's Bridge

Marienfelde Green

Nicolai House

Russian Church

Arminiuspl. Market Hall

Villa von der Heydt

Treptow Crematorium

Church Hohenzollernpl.

Universum Cinema

Mittelhof Country-House

Ahmadiyya Mosque

If you go through the splendid courtyard and entrance hall of the imposing three-winged building that was once the Veterinary School in Luisenstrasse, you will come to a park at the back, in which is hidden the Anatomische Theater (Anatomical Theatre). This is an early classical masterpiece, built in 1790 by Carl Gotthard Langhans and conceived after the Teatro Anatomico in Padua which is 200 years older. It is a two-storey building in the style of a villa with a low cupola and is famous for its circular lecture hall. Rows of benches, decorated with filigree, climb steeply to the cupola and remind one of an amphitheatre. Through the rounded archway to the annexe, built in similar style, is the entrance to the Institut für Fleischhygiene (Institute for Meat Hygiene). Here one can ring at the door and be shown the most beautiful lecture hall in Berlin. Under the keyword “Trichina temple”, the faculty of veterinary medicine has set up a donations account for the building which is badly in need of restoration. Like the splendid crumbling facades of the historic buildings of the former veterinary college, the park, which is traversed by the River Panke and was designed by Peter Joseph Lenne is also somewhat faded in its glory. Perhaps it is much loved by students for this reason. 

 

Address: Philippstr. 12/13 or Luisenstr. 56  10117 Berlin
Bus, Tube, Tram: U 6 Oranienburger Tor; Bus 147, 157
Map
Next