Anupam Bansal,
Malini Kochupillai

Architectural Guide


Maholy Nagy

Internationale Zeitschrift
Für Visuelle Kultur

( English, German, French, Czech)


Wilfried Wang,
Dan Sylvester

Hans Scharoun

Berlin 1956-1963



         City Guide

                    Berlin: Hidden Places 

                    Home     Index of Districts     Index of Themes     Index of Persons              About us    Deutsch 

Buddhistisches Haus (Buddhist House)


Buddhist House

Lübars Village Green

Russian Church


It takes ten to fifteen minutes to follow the footpath from S-Bahnhof Frohnau to the Buddhistisches Haus at the end of Edelhofdamm. A long steep staircase, where the number of steps and landings is connected to Buddhist teachings, leads up to the temple.
The building, designed by Max Meyer in 1924 in Ceylonese style, and the two-storeyed library, are built on a hilltop in the middle of an ancient park. The builder-owner and founder of the Buddhist House was the homeopathic doctor and writer, Dr. Paul Dahlke, who became a Buddhist after several visits to Asia and later pub- lished writings and translations about Theravada Buddhism. 
After Dahlke’s death in 1928, it became difficult to sustain the spiritual site. Buddhism was considered undesirable by the Nazis; the building fell into disrepair and was looted in 1949. In 1957 the German Dhammaduta Society, whose headquarters were in Colombo, Sri Lanka, bought the house from the beneficiaries. The monks that were sent over brought new life to the oldest Buddhist site in Europe, and West Berlin gained a magical hidden place of Eastern spirituality on its northernmost edge. 
The monks from Sri Lanka and their beautiful house, rich in tradition, have not played a significant role in Berlin’s contemporary Buddhist community. After the recent threat of closure and sale of the land was averted, the period of isolation, never completely voluntary, could come to an end. The house with its temple, library and garden is open daily for meditation, contemplation and study.





Address: Edelhofdamm 54, 13465 Berlin, +49 (0)30 4015580,
Hours of opening: temple daily 9.00-18.00; office and library Tue-Sun 9-18 Uhr, Mon day of rest
Bus, Tube, Tram: S1 Frohnau; Bus 125 Konzer Platz