Anupam Bansal,
Malini Kochupillai


Delhi
Architectural Guide
(English)

 

Maholy Nagy

Telehor
Internationale Zeitschrift
Für Visuelle Kultur

( English, German, French, Czech)

 


Wilfried Wang,
Dan Sylvester

Philharmonie
Hans Scharoun

Berlin 1956-1963
 

   

 

         City Guide

                    Berlin: Hidden Places 

                    Home     Index of Districts     Index of Themes     Index of Persons              About us    Deutsch 

Mitte
Deutsches Architektur Zentrum 
(German Centre for Architecture)

Index

Architectural Centre

Babylon Cinema

Anatomical Theatre

The Deserted Room

Luisenst. Canal Gardens

Franciscan Monastery

Künstlerheim Luise

Lunch Lecture Guggenh.  

Ackerstr. Market Hall

Room of Silence

Tajikistan Tearoom

St. Michael's Church

Nicolai House

Mori-Ogai Memorial

Honigmond Hotels

Berlin Teahouse

 

Since 1995, the German Centre for Architecture has been rising like a phoenix from the ashes between Köpenicker Straße and the southern bank of the Spree, near the centre of the thermal power station. It is surrounded by industrial remains and rotting buildings. 
Architects, city planners, landscape designers and their professional bodies, together with engineers, artists and designers, were daring enough to take over a turn-of-the-century industrial building that had once manufactured tools. The complex was carefully redeveloped to retain its features and white and green-tiled ornamentation. It was extended and a new floor was constructed over the whole building with an airy roof construction, made of steel, and reminiscent of Ludwig Mies van der Rohe’s Neue Nationalgalerie. The imposing entrance of glass and steel is followed inside by industrial splendour and extensive conference rooms.
Exhibitions and talks on architecture and town planning take place regularly in the Sharoun and the Taut Hall. Passing through the courtyard landscape, one stumbles across the Café Mies, with its inviting seated courtyard. You can reach this successful old-new piece of architecture from the Köpenicker Straße, via two temporary slip roads marked by an oversized road sign saying “DAZ 48 49”.

 

 

 

Address: Köpenicker Str. 48/49, 10179 Berlin, +49 (0)30 27879928, www.daz.de
Hours of opening: Scharoun- and Taut Hall Tue-Fri 12.00-19.00, Sat+Sun 14.00-19.00
Next