Anupam Bansal,
Malini Kochupillai


Delhi
Architectural Guide
(English)

 

Maholy Nagy

Telehor
Internationale Zeitschrift
Für Visuelle Kultur

( English, German, French, Czech)

 


Wilfried Wang,
Dan Sylvester

Philharmonie
Hans Scharoun

Berlin 1956-1963
 

   

 

         City Guide

                    Berlin: Hidden Places 

                    Home     Index of Districts     Index of Themes     Index of Persons              About us    Deutsch 

Kreuzberg
Hallesches Tor Cemeteries

Index

Sale e Tabacchi

Factory Hotel

Cemetery Hallesches Tor

English Theatre Berlin

Memorial Tablets

Lapidarium

Riehmer's Court

Exterminating Angel

 

 

The cemeteries at Hallesches Tor can be traced back to a paupers’ cemetery in 1735. In terms of its cultural history, it has become the most significant burial site in West Berlin. 
Among the most beautiful works of art are the heads of two women by the Jugendstil (Art Nouveau) sculptor Ignatz Taschner. They decorate the gravestones of the landscape painter Karl Wilhelm Bennewitz von Loefen and his wife, who can be found on the left when coming from the Zossener Straße entrance, on the inside corner of Baruther Straße in an area separated from the rest by tall family graves. 
On the painter’s gravestone, the marble relief of a woman’s head has been carved in the style of a medallion, with long, curly hair held back by a band. Emy Bennewitz von Loefen’s gravestone displays a girl’s head, half-hidden and half-emerging, whose calm beauty is captivating. A few steps away is a gold-rimmed, black, cast-iron cross dedicated to Henriette Herz; and just beyond the square, next to her husband’s grave, is that of Rahel Varnhagen. Both women were baptised Jewish and were important figures of the Berlin Salon in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. 
The graves of the composer, Jakob Ludwig Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy, his sister Fanny Hensel, his parents and other family members are to be found only a few steps further, to the left of the main path from the Zossener Straße entrance, shortly before the central wall. The flower shop at the main Mehringdamm entrance has a photocopied map of the cemetery for sale, showing a total of twenty-two famous graves, among them the poets E.T.A. Hoffmann and Adelbert von Chamisso, and the architects David Gilly and Georg Wenzeslaus von Knobelsdorff. 

 

 

 

Address: Mehringdamm 21, 10961 Berlin, +49 (0)30 69401961
Hours of opening: 8.00-16.00 (winter), 8.00-20.00 (summer)
Bus, Tube, Tram: U6 und U7 Mehringdamm; Bus M41 Brachvogelstr.
Next