- World music
|You can reach the western Grunewald peninsula Schildhorn by going over the Havelchaussee and the Straße am Schildhorn, past the historic Schildhorn Inn. Two stone steps away from the bank, and a ribbon of a path leads to the Schildhorn column, placed high above the Havel and surrounded by lovely pines.
Friedrich Wilhelm IV commissioned Friedrich August Stüler to build it in 1845. The monument, together with the impressive St. Peter and Paul church in Nikolskoe and the Heilandskirche (Church of the Saviour) in Sacrow, is part of a religious landscape the King designed alongside the Havel, which gave expression to his romantic ideas of Christianity and his wish to glorify it.
The column, destroyed in 1945 and restored again in 1954, depicts a stylized tree crowned by a cross from which a shield hangs. It illustrates the subject matter of the legend of the Slavic Prince Jaczo.
While attempting to escape after a devastating defeat at the hands of the Germans at Kladow, he came to the Havel near the Pichelberge, where it spreads out into a lake. Pressed by his pursuers, he drove his horse into the river, and as his gods had evidently deserted him, he swore that he would become a Christian if the Christian god would save him. As he happily reached the far bank, he hung his shield and horn from a tree and fulfilled his promise. The peninsula’s name and the design of the column stem from these events.