Anupam Bansal,
Malini Kochupillai


Delhi
Architectural Guide
(English)

 

Maholy Nagy

Telehor
Internationale Zeitschrift
Für Visuelle Kultur

( English, German, French, Czech)

 


Wilfried Wang,
Dan Sylvester

Philharmonie
Hans Scharoun

Berlin 1956-1963
 

   

 

         City Guide

                    Berlin: Hidden Places 

                    Home     Index of Districts     Index of Themes     Index of Persons              About us    Deutsch 

Charlottenburg,
Schöneberg,
Wilmersdorf
Kirche am Hohenzollernplatz (Church at Hohenzollernplatz)

Index

Hugendubel at Tauentzien

Ty Breizh-Savoie Rire

Cadillacs in Concrete

Church Hohenzollerndamm

Nature Reserve Schöneberg

Registry Office

The Arabic Book

The Schildhorn Column

Universum Cinema

Villa Harteneck's Garden

Ahmadiyya Mosque

Heerstraße Cemetery

Canzone - World music
Country House Garden

Plasterworks

Georg Kolbe Museum

Bookkeeper's Cellar

Literature Hotel

Fritz Högers’ impressive brick building, constructed between 1930 and 1933, needs to be viewed from a distance. With its steep walls and tall slender tower, the building is intimidating at too close a distance. This master and lover of dark-red brick has used gilded stone and joints as decorative features to lessen the effect of the monumental structure of the facades. 
The front entrance is also vast, yet here the massive stones of the staircase and the semi-circular side aisles are stacked and piled up in various playful ways. They frame the path to the pointed archway and shimmering gold of the entrance. The interior of the church is a light, almost delicate space whose height makes one feel dizzy. It is enclosed by thirteen steeply-pointed ferro-concrete arches. Unfortunately, the rich interior furnishings were badly damaged in the Second World War and have not been restored.
How the church got its name is a story in itself. In respect to the National Socialist zeitgeist, to which Höger felt an affinity, he wanted to name the church Dom des deutschen Frühlings (The Cathedral of the German Spring). The Parish members rightfully opposed this, giving it the somewhat insipid name it still has today. This was only intended as a temporary measure, yet in the course of time, history was forgotten, or perhaps as the church became known by its mocking nick-name Kraftwerk Gottes (God’s power station), no-one was quite brave enough to begin the search for a new name.
The church is open for a few hours every weekday except Monday between April and November. It is also open for the two annual art exhibitions, and the organ can be heard when there is a weekly market on Wednesdays and Saturday mornings.

 

              

              

 

Address: Hohenzollerndamm 202, 10717 Berlin, +49 (0)30 8731043, www.hohenzollerngemeinde.de 
Hours of opening: Apr-Nov, Tue, Thur, Fri 14.00-18.00; Wed and Sat 11.00-13.00, Sun 9.30-12.30 
Bus, Tube, Tram: U1 Hohenzollernplatz; Bus 249 U Hohenzollernplatz
Next