Anupam Bansal,
Malini Kochupillai


Delhi
Architectural Guide
(English)

 

Maholy Nagy

Telehor
Internationale Zeitschrift
Für Visuelle Kultur

( English, German, French, Czech)

 


Wilfried Wang,
Dan Sylvester

Philharmonie
Hans Scharoun

Berlin 1956-1963
 

   

 

         City Guide

                    Berlin: Hidden Places 

                    Home     Index of Districts     Index of Themes     Index of Persons              About us    Deutsch 

Charlottenburg,
Schöneberg,
Wilmersdorf
Landhausgarten Dr. Max Fränkel 
(Country House Garden)

Index

Hugendubel at Tauentzien

Ty Breizh-Savoie Rire

Cadillacs in Concrete

Church Hohenzollerndamm

Nature Reserve Schöneberg

Registry Office

The Arabic Book

The Schildhorn Column

Universum Cinema

Villa Harteneck's Garden

Ahmadiyya Mosque

Heerstraße Cemetery

Canzone - World music
Country House Garden

Plasterworks

Georg Kolbe Museum

Bookkeeper's Cellar

Literature Hotel

 

In the second half of the nineteen-twenties Dr. Max Fränkel commissioned Erwin Barth, Director of Gardens for Greater Berlin, to design the gardens of his country house in Kladow, a village that lies between Berlin and Potsdam. After the building of Heerstraße in 1910, Kladow, and particularly the slopes overlooking the River Havel, were much sought after by city dwellers as prime building land. As early as 1912, the entire bank of the Havel fell into the hands of Berlin landowners. 
The Fränkelsche Estate, which never saw the arrival of the planned country house (the Jewish bank director was forced to emigrate in 1933), lies at Schwemmhorn, where the steep Kladow riverbank rises towards the northern bank of the Pfaueninsel (Peacock Island). The terraced garden is built into the slope. To overcome the challenging terrain, stone walls and steps and soft landscape forms like the alpine garden have been arranged, echoing the spacious walkway along the river and the composition of its riverside setting. The project is particularly notable for having been this highly respected garden architect’s final work; Barth killed himself in 1933. 
The garden is open to the public at weekends from May to October. A small café serves refreshments. Weekday visits are possible when gardeners are working.
A one-and-a-half kilometre footpath takes you from the garden, via the Sacrower Kirchweg, the Imchennallee and the Imchenplatz, to a Berlin institution going back more than one hundred years: the F10 Berlin Transport Ferry, (BVG). The ferry has been connecting Kladow and Wansee since 1892. It leaves hourly, taking twenty minutes to cross to the jetty at Rönnebypromenade. A normal BVG ticket is needed for the crossing, and can also be used for the S-Bahn at nearby Wannsee Station.
 

 

 

     

Adress:  Lüdickeweg 1, 14089 Berlin, +49 (0)30 015208616950, www.sommercafe-kladow.de
Hours of opening: May-Oct, Sat, Sun and public holidays 11.00-18.00
Bus, Tube, Tram: Bus X34 Hottengrund
Next