Anupam Bansal,
Malini Kochupillai


Delhi
Architectural Guide
(English)

 

Maholy Nagy

Telehor
Internationale Zeitschrift
Für Visuelle Kultur

( English, German, French, Czech)

 


Wilfried Wang,
Dan Sylvester

Philharmonie
Hans Scharoun

Berlin 1956-1963
 

   

 

         City Guide

                    Berlin: Hidden Places 

                    Home     Index of Districts     Index of Themes     Index of Persons              About us    Deutsch 

 

Charlottenburg,
Schöneberg,
Wilmersdorf
 

 

Georg Kolbe Museum

Index

Hugendubel at Tauentzien

Ty Breizh-Savoie Rire

Cadillacs in Concrete

Church Hohenzollerndamm

Nature Reserve Schöneberg

Registry Office

The Arabic Book

The Schildhorn Column

Universum Cinema

Villa Harteneck's Garden

Ahmadiyya Mosque

Heerstraße Cemetery

Canzone - World music
Country House Garden

Plasterworks

Georg Kolbe Museum

Bookkeeper's Cellar

Literature Hotel

 

 

Between 1928 and 1929, Georg Kolbe built his artist’s studio in collaboration with Swiss architect Ernst Rentsch at the edge of the Grunewald, the large forest in Berlin’s West End district. 
Meditteranean living and Bauhaus-inspired elements are evident throughout; with its split-level roof and vast windows, the cubed brick building with its light-flooded rooms, is shaded by massive pine trees. There is a second, somewhat smaller house, which the artist built for his daughter. The interior design has consciously reverted to its original state, and now houses Café K, which serves afternoon tea as well as delicious meals.
A fantastically lively sculpture garden, featuring the sculptor’s own works, stretches between and around the two houses. The centre is composed of a fountain, brought here in 1978 from a banker’s garden in Berlin-Dahlem crowned by the figure of an exuberant dancing girl. The theme of dance dominated Kolbe’s work for almost thirty years until the end of the twenties, and was the subject of many of his most lyrical sculptures.
In conspicuous contrast to these, is a row of statues that stand a little way apart in a corner near the garden entrance: oversized male athletes and heroic mother figures that show National Socialism’s influence on Kolbe’s later work. That a collection of his sculptures should be exhibited in his home and work studio was part of Kolbe’s will. 
The museum, which opened in 1950, holds a permanent exhibition of Kolbe’s works, and of artists whose work connects closely to his. These are shown in temporary exhibitions in the new extension and in the basement. Artworks aside, the beautiful garden with its ter-race café is worth a visit in itself. 

 

Address: Sensburger Allee 25, 14055 Berlin, +49 (0)30 3042144, www.georg-kolbe-museum.de
Hours of opening: Tue-Sun 10.00-18.00
Bus, Tube, Tram: S75, S9 Bahnhof Heerstr.; Bus M49, X34, X49, 218 S Heerstr.
Next